Everyone creates carbon from driving, talking on mobile phones, using computers, heating and cooling our homes, and many other daily activities.
How do I create carbon emissions?
The amount of carbon pollution you create is referred to as your carbon footprint. A carbon footprint is usually measured in tonnes or pounds – and the average person creates 48,488 pounds of carbon every year. That’s equivalent to each of us removing 110 trees or adding four more cars on the road every year. So the pollution created by a family of four defeats the work of 440 trees that filter C02 from the air—and you can imagine how that hurts the planet over a lifetime.
All that carbon contributes to climate change, also known as global warming, which in turn has implications on our lakes, rivers, oceans, and eco-systems.
How can I reduce my carbon footprint?
The problem is that, given our heavy use of modern day conveniences, we can’t significantly reduce our carbon footprint on our own. It’s just not possible to do without some help.
The good news is that there are lifestyle choices you can make to reduce your carbon footprint. Washing with cold water, buying energy efficient appliances; carpooling; reducing consumption, recycling and installing energy efficient windows, doors and furnaces are just a few ways to reduce your overall environmental impact. Finally, for the carbon emissions you can’t eliminate on your own, you can purchase carbon offsets.
To calculate your own carbon footprint, click here.
What are the carbon emissions we can’t remove on our own?
Given our energy dependent and convenient lifestyles, there’s a significant amount of emissions we cannot directly eliminate For example:
- Vehicle Fuel
- Emissions are released through the power required to harvest and refine the gasoline.
- Purchasing frozen foods
- Power is required to keep grocery store freezers running at time of purchase.
- Traffic lights
- Traffic lights use power, generally from non-green sources.
What are carbon offsets?
JustGreen carbon offsets, also known as carbon credits, support green energy programs that help mitigate environmental degradation. Buying a carbon offset is like subtracting from your environmental impact that results from your convenient lifestyle choices.
There are five things to keep in mind to understand the carbon offset process and how it is relevant to you.
- Your Footprint:
- Carbon emissions – greenhouse gases that pollute the air and contribute to global warming – are generated by our daily lifestyle, such as driving, using a computer or even by the garbage we leave behind.
- Carbon offsetting:
- To help offset the emission we generate annually (which is about 48,488 lbs), JustGreenLifestyle offers everyday energy consumers an effective solution through the purchase of carbon credits.To offset your calculated carbon emissions (footprint), that amount is purchased in the equivalent value of carbon offsets from a renewable energy source, like a solar or wind plant.
- Carbon Neutral:
- Once carbon offsets or credits have been purchased from the facility that are equivalent to your carbon footprint, the green energy project gains funding for continued development and you are considered to be carbon neutral.
- Refers to a person’s emissions that have been subtracted from the pollution cycle through the purchase of offsets. The facility in turn gains funding it didn’t previously have to invest back into activities to promote the continuation of clean-energy development and sustainability initiatives.
- This is achieved when the individual has purchased the credits that equal their annual amount of emissions and a renewable energy source has obtained the additional funds from the offsets sold to put towards future research and green activities. One day we hope to tip the scale in favour of additionality.It’s an effective way to take personal responsibility for how much carbon you create and the impact you are making on the planet. Buying a carbon offset can actually help you neutralize the footprint you are leaving on the environment.
What makes JustGreen offsets different?
The JustGreen carbon offset program offers you credits to purchase to support green, sustainable energy projects like wind and solar energy plants.
Best of all Just Energy is one of only a few companies that gives you the option to choose which project to support. So you can choose local JustGreen eco-projects that you believe in and that mean the most to you and your family.
JustGreen carbon offsets meet strict environmental certification programs and many leading companies and organizations trust us to help them mitigate their environmental impact.